Prev: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku Next: Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle

Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:08:51 +1100
Subject: Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle

G'day Jaime,

 >What's the strategy with lines?

Mostly getting everything that has the same range into combat at the
same
time....we've played a bit of old style age of sail stuff and sometimes
it
just sort of creeps back to haunt us ;)

 >We had a few early on in our playing but
 >they dissapeared once the concentration
 >fire that a glob of ships has prevailed.

You can still get concentration of fire with this especially if there's
big guy on either end of the line ;)

 >hmm.. how much terrain do you use?

Often not much, but we do also run planets and sometimes asteroids.
There's
been the odd nebula when Lachy has felt the need to be sneaky ;)

 >I've tried using escorts as a sweeping
 >wing but find that it just splits your forces
 >and having them arrive at the same time as
 >your capital ships doesn't change much from
 >having a glob.

I don't always time their arrival to match exactly and it can be helpful
if
it forces him to either ignore one lot at his peril or try and second
guess
the split and split himself - with amusing consequences if he doesn't
get
the turn exactly right and ends up missing everybody ;)

Its also very helpful if you've got a specific mission in mind for the
strike wing. This is particularly if I run my race that has some needle
armed scouts - they are really only there to "rope" out a particular
ship
while the rest are occupied with the main force.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku Next: Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle