Prev: offline Next: Re: mecha in SG/DS

Re: Walkers, was RE: grav

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:03:02 -0800
Subject: Re: Walkers, was RE: grav

>From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>

>John Atkinson wrote in reply to Brian Bilderback:

Actually, this was my reply to Mr. Atkinson.

>DS2 is supposed to be a generic game. Sure, mechs are poor military
units -

In Real life, yes.  In most SF backgrounds, probably.  But in some
fictional
backgrounds, no.  For the game to be truly generic, it hsould allow for
the
creation of mechs/vehicles etc. that accurately reflect NOT Real Life,
but
the background in which they are set.

>which means that their points value should be correspondingly low.

Only for backgrounds that hold them in low regard.

>What better way to hammer home the inefficiency of mechs than having
the
>rules declare, through the points system, that the mechs need a 2:1
>numerical superiority to beat conventional tanks with similar
equipment?
>:-)

How about to allow them, to allow them full equality with regular
vehicles,
and then let individual players disallow them outside of fictional
settings?

Brian

"The Irish are the only race of people on Earth for which psychoanalysis
is
of no use."

				 - S. Freud

Prev: offline Next: Re: mecha in SG/DS