Prev: Re: [DS] 6mm Bugs Next: Re: [DS] Power Armour Definitions

RE: Amour and Walkers was [Re: grav ]

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:07:06 -0500
Subject: RE: Amour and Walkers was [Re: grav ]

Not taller than a house, just slightly taller than
a tank of the same size is long. Walkers should
also be able to kneel behind buildings (as troops
do behind walls and bushes) or even go prone when
desired.

Because your mass is vertical, you can fit down
alleys that tanks cannot fit in. Also, in the
close range of urban combat, you should usually
get shots to the top armor of the tanks you are
shooting at.

But, you say, you wouldn't send a tank force, you
would send infantry. And that is the point. You
now have a unit that is as flexible as infantry,
but with the firepower of a tank.

The trade-off between tank and walker should be
about the same. Yes, a walker presents a larger
cross-section to fire at from a tank. But from
the perspective of a walker, the tank's cross-
section is not the cross-section of its front or
side armor, but of the front/side and the TOP.
So if walkers are more vulnerable to be hit from
tanks, the tanks should have the same modifier
to be hit from the walkers.

A lot depends on how mobile/agile you view
walkers. If they are lumbering robots from the
40's, they would be easy pickings. If, as I
view them, they are as agile as infantry, then
you can gain a great deal.

---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com