Prev: Re: To Grav or not to Grav? Next: Re: To Grav or not to Grav?

RE: grav

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:42:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: grav

--- Rick Rutherford <Rick@esr.com> wrote:

> some of the logistical problems. In short, despite
> the apparent complexity > of an anti-gravity drive
and a fusion engine, you > have to assume that the
> AFVs are robust enough that the 3-person crew can
> make field repairs. > (Otherwise, you'd have an
expensive, and fragile > "lord of the battlefield".)

Depends.  How much BDAR can a tank crew do today
completely unassisted?	If an engine blows out, you
still have to have mechanics and a crane to come pull
pack, fix it, and put it back.	I've been an armored
vehicle crewman, and my level of 'field repair'
capability runs to replacing missing sprocket bolts
and such.

> I'd hesitate to use the DSII point system as a
> method for comparing AFV > designs, however. It's a
handy way to get a rough > estimate of the strength
> of your overall force, but it breaks down when you
> make a > point-value-per-point-value comparison of
two > different AFVs.

'Tis a slippery slope we slide down with that line of
thinking.  I suppose we could rename the current DSII
point system "Battle Points" or somesuch (BPV?) and
create a whole new points system (Economic Point
Value) to reflect economic assumptions.  But a) that's
too much damn work, b)no-one's economic assumptions
are completely congruent, and c) it's of limited
utility anyway.

John

Prev: Re: To Grav or not to Grav? Next: Re: To Grav or not to Grav?