Prev: Re: grav Next: RE: grav

Re: Outrim Coalition

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:21:31 +0100
Subject: Re: Outrim Coalition

A long time ago Alan wrote:

>From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
>
> >I like the ORC background, but... if their main enemy is supposed to
be
> >the Kra'Vak, weak hulls and heavy screens is not a very sensible
design
> >doctrine, like.
>
>a) The ORC has to make do with what it can get.

If my main enemy was the Kra'Vak, I wouldn't install any screens even if
could get them - it's better to just leave the space empty and avoid
losing
the money and materials invested in those screens when the ship blows
up!

>c) OTOH the firing arcs are unmatched, even by the OU in its dreams<g>.
This
>makes their weaponry rather good against KV in cinematic.Enough to
overcome
>their weakness in defence? Dunno. Unlikely. They have good arcs, not
great
>weapons power.

Wide firing arcs is nice, but in order to suffice against Kra'Vak it
needs
to be backed up by good firepower or good survivability - but the
screened
ORC ships only have average firepower and poor survivability against KV.

Against Phalons OTOH their main limitation is a lack of PDS, but they're

nearly able to match an "all-C" Phalon force of the same points value
beam
for beam at close range while still having a reasonable mid-range beam
punch.

> >OTOH, if you put them on the Phalon border instead, the designs make
a lot
> >more sense. [snip]
>
>Very good idea. Shall we just say that the *surviving* ORC are now
pretty
>much all facing the Phalons, the ones facing the KV having either been
>vaped (due
>to having sub-optimal ships) or driven out?

Sounds good to me :-)

>You're right about the firing arcs of the torps BTW - FP,F and F,FS
>
>The firing arcs for the Battleship are AP,FP,F x 2 and F,FS,AS x 2 BTW.

Yes, that one I had figured out <g>

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com