Prev: Re: OUDF design Qs Next: Re: Ghurka club100 miniatures(batch 2)

Re: small powers

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:59:25 +0100
Subject: Re: small powers

John Atkinson wrote:

> > * Local-defence fighter squadrons based on planets
> > or in orbital facilities have not been included in these figures.
>
>Ah.  I actually have those broken down and will be
>adding those to my list as I have time.
>
> > Corresponding data for John Atkinson's NRE (unless
> > he's changed it very
> > recently): 738 ships (108 capitals, 204 cruisers,
> > 408 escorts) and 190 > fighter squadrons*; total TMF
>42222, total NPV > ~144000 (depends a bit on the
> > exact mix of fighter types). However, since John
>
>OK, I give up.  What's the * for after squadrons?

Same as for the ESU and NAC (and NSL and FSE too, but I seem to have
forgotten to put it in there). You quoted that footnote; I left it in
above
(just above your "Ah. I actually..." comment.)

> >doesn't list any of his scoutships or corvettes in
> >the OOB (although he *does* give stats for them
> >in the Jane's section) these numbers are probably a
> >bit low.
>
>Neither does Indy.

Indy's OOBs include:

NAC: 39 CTs, 15 SCs (total TMF 558, NPV 1914)
ESU: 40 CTs, 77 SCs (total TMF 1022, NPV 3537)
NSL: 92 CTs, 24 SCs (total TMF 1480, NPV 4972)
FSE: 61 CTs, 50 SCs (total TMF 1254, NPV 4328)

You're partly correct though, since these obviously aren't all the ships

available in these classes - eg., for the NAC FB1 lists 87 Arapahos and
70
Harrisons and mentions "several other small scoutship classes in the NAC

fleet" while Indy's OOBs only lists 39 Arapahos and 15 Harrisons.

>Besides, compare (for instance) the US Army and the
>IDF.  IDF has four active duty divisions, US has 10.
>Yet Israel has approximately. . . Hrm, 1/50th the
>population base of the United States?

How many reserve and NG divisions does the US have which it can and does

send parts of abroad, eg. to the Balkans? How many equivalent divisions
can
the IDF raise in a crisis? How many of those divisions can the US and
IDF
respectively keep in the field if the war lasts for longer than two
weeks?

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: OUDF design Qs Next: Re: Ghurka club100 miniatures(batch 2)