Next: Re: [DS2] Complex 15 Assault: AAR (long)

Re: small powers

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:44:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: small powers

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

> NSL: 780 ships (119 capitals (15 CVAs?!?), 203
> cruisers, 434 escorts, 24
> scouts) and 123 fighter squadrons; total TMF ~40000,
> total NPV ~137000

IMNSHO, NSL's figures are low.	Their fleet should be
a bit bigger.

> * Local-defence fighter squadrons based on planets
> or in orbital facilities
> have not been included in these figures.

Ah.  I actually have those broken down and will be
adding those to my list as I have time.

> Corresponding data for John Atkinson's NRE (unless
> he's changed it very
> recently): 738 ships (108 capitals, 204 cruisers,
> 408 escorts) and 190 > fighter squadrons*; total TMF
42222, total NPV > ~144000 (depends a bit on the
> exact mix of fighter types). However, since John

OK, I give up.	What's the * for after squadrons?

BTW, Imperial usage is to refer to them as 'flights',
squadrons consist of all fighters of a type assigned
to the same ship.  This does lead to one-flight
squadrons.

> doesn't list any of his > scoutships or corvettes in
the OOB (although he > *does* give stats for them
> in the Jane's section) these numbers are probably a
> bit low.

Neither does Indy.  I'm presuming that those small
ships are not enough to be a blip on the radar of
total fleet sizes, but if I add them in it'll be just
a lot more work.  I'm considering having them seperate
from the Imperial Fleet anyway, in more of a Coast
Guard-type formation.

(This was the > background to my recent jab about
"four-planet > colony powers with fleets
> that out-mass the entire l'Astromarine :-) )

You've been jabbing me about it since I came up with
the idea.  I still think it's cool.

;P

Besides, compare (for instance) the US Army and the
IDF.  IDF has four active duty divisions, US has 10.
Yet Israel has approximately. . . Hrm, 1/50th the
population base of the United States?

John

Find a job, post your resume.

Next: Re: [DS2] Complex 15 Assault: AAR (long)