Prev: Re: As we're talking about Ghurka's anyway... Next: Re: [DS2] Complex 15 Assault: AAR (long)

Re: [DS2] Complex 15 Assault: AAR (long)

From: "Noel Weer" <noel.weer@v...>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:19:26 -0600
Subject: Re: [DS2] Complex 15 Assault: AAR (long)

Not a typo, and interestingly enough I had the same challenge and
discussion
with one of our players. Technically, the 1 size over class is not a
"rule"
but a "recommendation" (top left column of page 12, in bold).

I have 3 of my personal designs (all part of the engagement) that
violate
the recommendation: size 3 vehicles with class 5 guns. In each case
though,
I have tried to justify it with a design consideration.

In one case, the Yergecheffe, it is a fixed weapon. I figured that
limitation tends to balance it some, so it fits the design.

The other two are technically part of a unit that is designed
intentionally
with large barrels on smaller tanks with a methodology of hard to hit
platforms (more of a theory really, that has not played out real well -
I am
still not sure) are better than large platforms. What isn't obvious from
this AAR is those tanks are expensive, _really_ expensive due to high
ECM
and Stealth. The cost of the design somewhat balances the weapon
discrepancy. To put it in perspective, those successfully bombing runs
wiped
out about 2300 points of tanks. I hardly consider that to be worth it,
and
wish the design was larger - with the armor to protect those guns - in
this
instance.

I agree with the intent of the recommendation, but it really should not
be
hard and fast, because it makes sense in some situations. I hardly
recommend
it for all designs, though. Just what fits your force's style and
methodology.