Prev: Re: Hmmm.... Was Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers) Next: Re: [OT] Basques ?

RE: Prospective Novice

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 20:33:00 +0100
Subject: RE: Prospective Novice

Brian Bell wrote:

>Oerjan, want to comment?

I know that the other Brian B. didn't ask for high-speed tactics, but I
can
comment anyway <g>

>Oerjan is the list's resident speed freak.
>His ships routinely travel at speeds over
>30. Thus, you will likely encounter the
>list-speak term "Oerjan Speed".
>
>He could probably give you some tips on
>how to use the tactic effectivly in FT.

I can give tips on how to use the boom-and-zoom tactic effectively in
Cinematic. Beth is the resident Vector speed freak :-)

Unfortunately high speeds only work if you have a large enough gaming
table
(or use the "moving table" option described on p.28 in the FT2 rules) -
you
usually need a table big enough to zoom out of your enemy's (effective)
weapon range before you turn around for the next attack run. Having
decent
maneuverability (ability to execute 3-pt or (preferrably) tighter turns)

helps a lot, of course :-)

The opposite to "boom-and-zoom" is "turn-and-burn", aka "the circle of
death". This typically occurs when thrust-4 fleets are trying to get
into
each others' rear arcs. This is the kind of battle Alan designed the
BORON
ships for.

As for Tom's lament about not knowing where your own fleet will end up
in
Cinematic, it is quite simple once you've recognised the pattern:

Draw a straigth line from where the ship is prior to movment, set at an
angle A to the ship's facing. The angle A depends on how tight a turn
the
ship makes. The ship will end movement at some point along this line -
increasing the velocity will place it further away, slowing down will
put
it closer, but it will always end up somewhere along this line.

Turn	Angle A:		Distance/speed: Ship's new facing:
1-pt	15 degrees	0.97		30 degrees
2-pt	45 degrees	0.97		60 degrees
3-pt	60 degrees	0.86		90 degrees
4-pt	90 degrees	0.86		120 degrees
5-pt	105 degrees	0.71		150 degrees
6-pt	135 degrees	0.71		180 degrees
...etc.

The "Distance/speed" column multiplied by the ship's speed (after
applying
thrust for accel/decel) shows how far away from the starting point along

the straight line the ship will end up. Of course I don't try to
calculate
"speed*0.71" etc exactly in my head, but thinking "just under the ship's

speed" or "just under 3/4 the ship's speed" still gives you a decent
idea
of where you'll end up and which way you'll be pointing.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Hmmm.... Was Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers) Next: Re: [OT] Basques ?