Prev: Re: OT: irish Next: OT: Powers That Be

My take on non cannon FT

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 02:26:34 -0000
Subject: My take on non cannon FT

Thomas Barkclay asked about peoples use of the original FT background a
while ago (ok, about 3 days, just seems a long time ago).

I thought I`d share my take on the FT universe (PS-A very rough draft).

I have a system, which was settled as a independent colony with NAC
protection. This colony became a industrial center, and made good
profits by
selling technology equivalent to the core worlds, but with lower cost
due to
the shorter shipping times involoved. When the KV attacks started, they
used
the freighter shipyards to construct some system defence craft. Due to
some
very good luck, the first incursion was a PH light squadren, which they
suvived and defeted. They used the recovered debris to engineer some new
weapons, based on alien tech, but with only limited sucess. They managed
build a pulsar C equivalent, and a multi layered hull, but anything else
was
imposible. Due to the industry avalible to them, but the limited
manpower,
they were able to afford expensive ships, but only a limited number, but
couldn`t afford the expense in manpower that fighters entailed.

I call this system the star kingdom of manticore (yes, it`s a blatent
rip of
DW`s honor harrington).

All the above was to alllow me to play the ships designed acording to
the
notes below.

The ships are designed just like normal, except bigger (the latest SD
masses
in at 340 mass). The ships use sheilds and multi-layer PH style hull
armour.
They are armed with C pulsars for use in PDS and energy weapons, heavy
PDS
batts, and MT missile launchers (modified for 2 mass for 1 arc, and 2.5
mass
for 2 arcs, or you get 2 launchers for 5 mass. This is so I can have
broadside weapons). They are also somewhat slow (the SD`s have a thrust
of
2, and the DN`s have a thrust of 3). Of course, how effective they are
depends how you use MT missiles (I use them just like fighters,
including
secondary movement, which does make them pritty powerful).

Now I just need to playtest them, and see how wrong I am <G>.

And I won`t go into my bug alien race, with their fleet of several
hundren
SD`s, ignorence of losses, and strange design of ship weapons (I just
use
them as a generic bag guys for one off battles).

BIF

Prev: Re: OT: irish Next: OT: Powers That Be