Prev: Re: Books for SG2 Next: GEVs: Engineering and Recovery

Re: DS/FT/SG: Tuffleyverse Cannon & Personal Stratrgy/Tactics/Design Philosophies

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:43:03 GMT
Subject: Re: DS/FT/SG: Tuffleyverse Cannon & Personal Stratrgy/Tactics/Design Philosophies

In message <200110300304.f9U340O37036@soda.csua.berkeley.edu>
	  johncrim@voicenet.com wrote:

[snip]

> I’ve designed a couple of minor powers -- the Hanseatic League and
the Pantropist Society
> -- and one major power (actually, the Iluminati is THE major power,
even if no one else
> knows it) that fit into the Tuffleverse, but I’ve done it more as an
intellectual exercise
> than out of any real desire to conform.  I prefer gaming in universes
of my own creation;
> that way I don’t have to deal with anyone else’s arbitrary limits.
Only my OWN arbitrary
> limits hold me back!

[snip]

> John Crimmins

Well, you're addition of the Illuminati (not to mention Ken Hites'
Suppressed Transmission column in Pyramid) has inspired me to think on
the following bit of insanity...

Lets see if we can fit the rest of the INWO Secret Masters into the
Tufflyverse (all conjectural, as they are _secret_ masters... if they
exist... which they don't ;-).

I'm using a lot of innuendo here :-) I'll post clearer answers later (if
I'm still here :-) (The powers I'm thinking of need not be canon - just
well publicised on this list).
Of course, some of you may come up with other, better, answers :-)

Discordians - Dislike order and social structures - who do you think.

The UFOs - well, we have three known alien races in FB2, OTOH, UFOs,
are, by definition, unidentified.

Adepts of Hermes - Well, current theory _does_, possibly, predict
someway of circumventing the 'lightspeed barrier', but to do so would
require advanced technology... _sufficiently_ advanced technology.
Clarke's Third Rule "Any Sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic". And who developed (or claimed to have
developed) FTL?

Shangri-La - frankly, this one's got me stumped :-(

Society of Assassins - historically, there is an obvious candidate here,
so its probably wrong :-)

Gnomes of Zurich - they are rich, mysteriously so.

Bermuda Triangle - they make ships disappear - well, it wouldn't
surprise me if a faction has multiple faces.

The Network - one possible contender, but IIRC it hasn't been mentioned
recently.

Servants of Cthulhu - hmm... lets think - big, tentacles, lives
underwater, doesn't move much - sound like anyone we know? :-)

So, can you guess who I'm guessing is who?

Charles

Prev: Re: Books for SG2 Next: GEVs: Engineering and Recovery