Prev: Re: Scale debate Next: Re: PA carried DFFGs?

Re: PA carried DFFGs?

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: PA carried DFFGs?

--- Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@juno.com> wrote:

> (Pet Peeve alert - pun intended) BTW, why do we call
> them "Races"?
> Wouldn't "species" be more appropriate?  "Race"
> isn't even useful in
> describing human groupings in Stargrunt!

Or IRL, given that most categories are determined
based more on cosmetic factors than any real knowledge
of the relations of the persons involved.  I mean, the
term "black" covers groups far more unrelated than,
say, Germans and certain ethnic groups on the Indian
subcontinent.  And Turks started out as displaced
Koreans (as did the Japanese), and now have interbred
with the peoples they conquered in the Balkans to the
point that you can't tell a Turk from a Greek at first
glance--and frequently upon closer examination either.

Anyone who thinks in terms of "race" is using sloppy
terminology at the very least.

John

Prev: Re: Scale debate Next: Re: PA carried DFFGs?