Prev: Re: Field Manuals Next: Re: Sinking GEV's

Re: (FT) Miniature ideas (Space Staions, planets and missile packs)

From: johncrim@v...
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:45:27 -0500
Subject: Re: (FT) Miniature ideas (Space Staions, planets and missile packs)

> Hello all:
>
>   For a game that I am going to be running, I need a few miniatures
and I
> was looking for ideas on how to make them.  in the Subject, you can
see what
> I am looking to create. Other than counters, does anyone have any
ideas on
> how I go about making planets, space stations and missile packs.
>   The planet isn't that hard, but I am looking for other ideas for it.
 My
> idea for the planet is one of those styrofoam balls that you can get
in
> craft shops and paint it up, but looking for other ideas.
>   The Space station, I am looking for inspiration for it honestly.
Once, I
> get a good idea what it should look like, I can start making it.
>   The missile packs, I am completely lost other than using counters,
but if
> anyone can found/created a miniature for them, I'd love to see them.
>
> Thanks,
> -Bren

I've created a few space stations -- still need to paint most of them,
'tho.  The easy one
was a pair of Micro Machines: the top section of a Cloud City of Bespin
glued onto a Star
Trek Starbase.	The combination looks surprisingly good.

I also made one that took a bit more work.  I started with a block of
floral foam, which
is very crumbly and easy to shape.  I broke into aproximately the shape
that I wanted, and
then covered it with two coats of Acrylic Gel Medium (Extra Coarse grade
-- it has little
bits of pumice in it).	The result was pretty durable.	I then glued on
bits and pieces of
plastic shapes and model parts -- a BFG fighter bay and antenna, some
gun turrets from a
Yamato model, some plastic domes and beads from a craft shop -- and used
more Gel Medium
to blend them into the surface.

Oh, and I glued some hollow tubing into place on the underside, so I
could slide a base in
and out without difficulty.  The whole thing painted up pretty nicely,
and wasn't all that
difficult.

I've also got hald of a Cylon Basestar, so I can duplicate the Space
Station from MT when
I'm feeing ambitious enough.  That won't be soon.

For missiles, you can order some nice ones from (I hate to say it) GW.
From the BFG line,
and the prices aren't bad.

Finally, check out: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/
..under "Bits and Pieces" for instructions on making planets and
asteroids.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

      http://www.voicenet.com/webmail/

Prev: Re: Field Manuals Next: Re: Sinking GEV's