Prev: Sci-Fi Spear-Head Next: Re: [OT] Die rolling can o' worms Re: WWII DSII

[OT] Die rolling can o' worms Re: WWII DSII

From: devans@u...
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:55:08 -0500
Subject: [OT] Die rolling can o' worms Re: WWII DSII

***
but I find the "roll 1 D6" mechanism easier than the "opposed dice for
hit/miss followed by chits for damage resolution" mechanism makes for a
much quicker (or larger) game.
***

As long as it's one die roll, but a problem I have with games like
40K(tm)
is its apply modifiers and 'roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save'.
When
I made a complaint like this to a fan, he pointed out it takes time, but
simpler, to him, than looking up many tables. (Note the appropriate use
of
'than' rather than 'then'.)

The opposed roll, I hope, at least, lets you roll all of the above at
the
same time, giving you a fair variety of outcomes, though there's still
the
chit pull afterwards.

Is it really quicker in Spearhead, or are there more steps? Does this
give
enough range of outcomes?

Does this make sense? Does anybody care?

I guess the topic came to the surface for me in discussing introductory
games. While your troops may be hanging on the result of that string of
rolls, if there are more than a couple people per side, you may end up
with
impatient players, and LONG turns.

Then again, I have issues with too many threshold rolls per turn in FTII
on
occasion. It's one of the places I'd shoot the 'it's not really random'
members of my crowd, and run the process on a laptop.

Prev: Sci-Fi Spear-Head Next: Re: [OT] Die rolling can o' worms Re: WWII DSII