Prev: Re: [DS/FT]Christmas come early for you lot Next: Re: Rules questions

Re: Rules questions

From: "Scott Clinton" <grumbling_grognard@h...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:19:46 -0500
Subject: Re: Rules questions

>From: "Tommy" <chuczek@wp.pl>
>I`m wargamer from Poland.

Well Howdy from Texas!	Small world is it not?	:-)

I don't play DSII or FT but let me give a try at the SGII questions, or
at
least my opinion.

>2. I don`t know if you are interested in fantasy wargames, but I want
>play fantasy battles with rules based on SGII...I want more "realizm"
in a
>game. I resolved most of the problems but still have a few...(monsters)

>often have a few more hands/ heads than average human, they are much
bigger
>and have natural armour. It makes difficult to resolve close combat
with
>them. To me close combat in such close combat oriented game should be
more
>complex (and more interested) than in SGII which is firefight game...

True, yes I see the problem.  I am not sure that the close combat system

used in SGII is detailed enough to do what it appears you want to do.  I

think it can be made to work, but I am not sure it will give you the
detail
that you want.	But, with detail comes a price.  More detailed close
combat
will slow the game.  With large formations fighting (as they do in
fantasy
wargames) this can be a very bad thing.

If I were you I would start by working on the extreme examples of
monsters
that you wish to model like giants, dragons as well as hobbits and
goblins.
That way you have the extremes done and you can then fill in the middle
with
the rest of the creatures so that it 'feels right'.

Then I would work on making statistics for the melee weapons most used
and
their special rules.  For example a sword may be a d8 while a long spear
is
only d6 but the spear is longer and hits first.  You may see that by
doing
this and using logic it then becomes apparent that the dragon (already
"modeled") should probably also get a first hit advantage over the
sword.

>I can`t imagine single swordmen killing for example Dragon. Monsters
should
>resist a lot of wounds. How to make it without making a notes after
every
>wound (which will slow the game)? I couldn`t resolve this problem, if
you
>are interested and want to help, please send your suggestion.

Perhaps a different/additional set of counters for "FMA Fantasy" to
indicate
the number of hit points the creature has left will work.  You may also
try
just setting an extra dice next to the figure with the number of hit
points
left showing.

>3. Do you know anything about publication of FMA? Rules for fighting
very
>small battles with dozen or so fighters per side...I need such a
>system...Maybe you know other good game for simulating such a conflict?

Yep, I desire this also.  I am working on my own, much more complex
version
(Please note: I said more complex not better! <g>)

>4. SGII question. Close combat. Don`t you think power armour troops in
>game are overpowered in close combat.

Personally I do not think they are too strong in close combat.	I have
always seen power armor in SGII as being modeled on the power armor used
in
the book "Starship Troopers".  And from reading that book (and others
similar) one (well trained) man in power armor could kill a squad by
himself.

Power armor not only protects the wearer, it also GREATLY increases
their
strength and close combat abilities.  A man with a knife or bayonet is
no
threat to a soldier in power armor.

Perhaps you are viewing power armor as what I have heard referred to as
"Power-assisted Armor".  This type of armor is slower, and not nearly as

advanced as the power armor modeled in SGII.  "Power-assisted Armor" is
simply heavy armor with a built in power unit to allow the wearer to
move
under its bulk.  It does not provide nearly the mobility or strength of
true
power armor while it does provide nearly as much protection.

All of the above, are of course, just my opinion.

Bye,

Scott Clinton
The Grumbling Grognard

Prev: Re: [DS/FT]Christmas come early for you lot Next: Re: Rules questions