Prev: Re: PA carried DFFGs? Next: RE: The Tonk "long"

Re: Re FT-Forts

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:38:53 +0100
Subject: Re: Re FT-Forts

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 2:46 PM

> Alister Crowe wrote:
>
> > I recenctly nipped into town and picked up the last model of B5 from
local
> > model store... its about 40 cm long, pretty cool looking and
features a
> > spiffy rotating section in the middle. I need to sit down and work
the
thing
> > out... I'm planning on using a 'sections' type design for it (ie you
have to
> > beat up certain sections to kill the thing), with 3 reactor centers
power
> > the vessel (ie the solar panels on either side and the reactor right
at
the
> > end).
>
> <Pedant>
> Those are not solar panels (more precisely, they shouldn't be solar
panels),
> they are radiator panels for whatever mechanism converts the heat
produced
by
> the fusion reactors into more useful forms of energy.  [Warning!
Physics
> bafflegab]  Their resemblance to solar arrays is due to the surface
treatment
> that allows them to go from strongly emissive (in shadow) to strongly
reflective
> (in sunlight) to maximise their blackbody radiation output and, hence,
minimise
> their temperature.  A fusion reaction at 10,000,000K and a cold
resevoir
at 5K
> allows even a physicist to construct a practically 100% efficient
system.
> </Pedant>

I`m shocked, some PSB that is actually based on science, you would get
thrown out of every trek meeting for saying things like this. What next,
movement system based on conservation of momentum, greatly simplified
for
game play? Oh, we already have that.

Prev: Re: PA carried DFFGs? Next: RE: The Tonk "long"