Prev: Re: [DS] Mixed units? Next: Re: Eli's retro power armour pictures posted

Re: [DS] Mixed units?

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:10:09 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Mixed units?

At 7:00 AM +0200 10/8/01, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

>One obvious case is having some but not all vehicles in a unit
>equipped with LAD (with the others carrying GMS/L or somesuch
>instead). While not standard TOE organisations, cross-attachments of
>tanks to infantry on the section level is fairly common for MOUT ops
>today; such task organisations are best represented as mixed
>tank/IFV/infantry unit in DS2.

Aye, and Armoured Cav take it a step further (especially with
Vietnam). Several APCs (AVAC 113s) with tanks (M47s). Something like
7-8 vehicles per platoon with infantry attached and organic. A very
potent fighting force in the jungle. Easily a match for a company or
two of infantry.

I routinely use mixed units in special situations. Some of my
mechanized scout units include two different types of armoured cars.
This is backed by historical precedent. Specifically by the British
use of Saracens, Saladins and Ferret's in concert as well as german
use of different vehicles during WWII for armed recce Half Tracks,
ACs and sometimes a tank or two).

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \	   Protect Freedom AND Security        -
-    NRA	  \	http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/     -

Prev: Re: [DS] Mixed units? Next: Re: Eli's retro power armour pictures posted