Prev: Re: Evil Empire(tm) reference Re: Moving Next: Re: [DS] Missile question

Re: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 22:47:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183

On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:41:41 -0400, Richard and Emily Bell
<rlbell@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Re-investing their uncollected pay is good for the economy, but you
have to
>keep the veterans from liquifying their wealth and leaving society.  No
>problems occur if they spend their money within the society.

Well, inflation can happen. Prices will increase if they spend the money
in a
localized area. Think of what the dot-com industry did to real estate
values
in San Francisco.

The way the government can do it is set taxes such that you get taxed up
the
wazoo if you withdraw huge amounts of money at once. There are taxation
rules
you can use in order to encourage the soldiers to invest it without
liquidating their wealth and disappearing. It seems to me a much more
sane,
easier, but not as "sexy", an answer as building a secret, overly priced
resort planet.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: Evil Empire(tm) reference Re: Moving Next: Re: [DS] Missile question