Prev: Re: FT Forts Next: RE: [OT] (ish) New Toy - Patriot Launcher/Tractor

RE: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:11:50 -0400
Subject: RE: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183

Hmmm. I don't know if anyone would go for it. The military is actually
SAVING money by having the soldiers go into hybernation at full salary
for
the full trip when compaired to having them on a normal duty cycle. They
do
not have to provide life support, food, water, waste facilities, or
exercise
areas. They also do not have to supply as large a sleeping area.

"Son, do I have a bargin for you! Instead of staying on base near family
and
friends collecting full pay, we will send you to the stars! Of course it
will take you 100 years before you return and you will only be on 10%
pay
for most of the time, but what do you say? Hmmm?"

I would think that they would be on a normal salary for the full trip
(in
hybernation or out), calculated using ship time (to account for time
dilation). It is also possible that the military would have to provide
hybernation facilities for spouses).

As for pay, electronic pay or promisary notes (paper money) only works
if
they are easily exchanged. If space travel requires hybernation, then
the
exchange is likely to be difficult. I would think that the pay would be
split between electronic pay at home and something of real value (gold)
that
would go with the troops for when they get liberty.

---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com
ICQ: 12848051