Prev: RE: Hi Next: Re: Scratchbuilding tips

Re: Stuff to look out for in model shops

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 17:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Stuff to look out for in model shops

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> ***
> Even more useful (if you can find 'em) are the AA versions of the
AMX-30
> and AMX-13. Both have twin gun turrets and would be unfamiliar to most
> SF gamers at first glance (ie you wouldn't get the annoying "I know
what
> you made that from ..." comment every time you put them on the table
!).
> ***

You've got to convert pretty heavily to shut the 'I know what that
is/was..." crowd up - the VTOL I've got is a heavily coverted Havoc/A-10
crossbreed, and it still gets people who think they know where the bits
come from...

> Imagine the scorn and derision I'll be getting if I ever get my gev
> together, using an M1 hull and a T-72 turret. If only I could have
gotten
> that T-80 kit.

If there's a kit out there already, the newest German Leopard MBT - the
2A5 - has a very SFish turret and is new enough (5 years or so) not to
be
instantly familiar to the general run of people.

> On the DSII side, I've been curious what folks have found useful
amongst
> kits. I think someone mentioned using 1/144 'copters for groppo
support
> craft, and I noticed recently that Revell has re-issued the F-19
'curvy'
> stealth fighter in 1/144, which I'd only seen out by Hobbycraft
previously.
> Back in 1st edition Epic, I wanted to cut up the back end to accept a
Rhino
> (Evil Empire(tm)) and use it for a drop ship.

1/144 is way too large to use as-is with 1/300 (6mm) scale DS2 stuff,
unless it's as parts for large transport conversions and the like.

The 1/144 copter I've got is for 15mm SG2 - see
http://warbard.iwarp.com/sg2gallery.html -

> Please note, inspite of the above, never forget I'm a vac-head.

You're forgiven... :>

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

Prev: RE: Hi Next: Re: Scratchbuilding tips