Prev: RE: Personal Note and a Dumb Question: Next: Re: [DS] FMA DSII+

Re: [DSII] House rules for sinking GEV's

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:59:26 +0200
Subject: Re: [DSII] House rules for sinking GEV's

Doug Evans wrote:

>***
> >I'm not sure it would happen due to the way a GEV works, but if it
was a
> >danger, one would like to think it would be mentioned to the drivers
> >during their training.
>
>Guess why no military hovercraft have heavy armour...?
>***
>
>Forgive this ole vac-head, but I can't help thinking such an animal
would
>have difficulty in deep sand, loose dirt, and the like...

Well, yes and no. Water is even worse than sand/dirt in this respect, so
if
the sand/dirt/mud is loose enough for a heavy GEV to have problems that
area is most likely impassable for any ground-contact unit - including
infantry.

(Under some very special conditions you might get a "fluid bed"-like
case
where the dirt is less viscous than water, but that's not very likely -
those conditions are hard enough to achieve when you use purpose-built
equipment :-/ No, I'm not talking about beds you sleep in - I'm talking
about combustion chambers for power stations, where the fuel is hovering
on
an upwards stream of air blown through the chamber. Sorry, I don't know
the
proper English terms :-( )

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: RE: Personal Note and a Dumb Question: Next: Re: [DS] FMA DSII+