Prev: [FT] Star Frontiers Ships Next: [OT banter] was Re: Decals for tanks

Re: [FTIII] Re: FT-WDA?

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:54:30 +1000
Subject: Re: [FTIII] Re: FT-WDA?

From: <devans@uneb.edu>

> Ok, you let the cat out of the bag: what else is locked down in FT
III? I
> thought it was all still on the table...

I said "may", not "will". The playtest list has come up with what I
personally think is a good take on MT missiles, but nothing's
set in concrete, some prefer other solutions, and St Jon has the
last and only word as usual.

The variant that seems to have the least opposition is as follows:
4 Types of Missile, EMP, Long Lance, Standard, and Misericorde.
EMP and Misericorde missiles have an endurance of 1, Standard 3,
Long Lance 5. Speed 18, they move like fighters, but before fighters.
Somewhat like fighters, they can burn an endurance to move an
additional 6" (3" in vector) after ships have moved. This means they
can effectively trade some range for the ability to pick their target.
They home in on the nearest enemy within 6" (3" in vector), and are
shot at like SMs. A single hit destroys them, so ships with reasonable
PDS have little to fear unless shot at by swarms of em ( or MTMs and
SMs and Fighters simultaneously).

Damage - EMP 1 pt, and a Threshold on a roll of 2+TargetScreen, so
a ship with screen-2 would be affected on a 4+. A cherry ship hit by
3 EMP missiles that take effect would take a single Threshold at 4+,
one that's already at 5 instead of 6 would take it at 3+.
Misericordes do 3D6 of damage (but note that their range is only
18", and they can't burn an extra endurance, as they only have 1).
Their main use will be on small ships that act like Torpedo Boats,
hoping for a lucky shot or putting a wreck out of its misery.
Standard missiles do 2D6, and Long Lances 1D6. The first is most
common, and most useful. The Last is mainly for sniping small stuff
or long-range shots, e.g. at fixed defences.

But... as I said, the final version may be completely different, no
resemblance
at all.

I would reasonably expect FT3 to contain everything that's in More
Thrust.
This means things like:

ECM/ESM/Stealth/Cloaking
Boarding
Ground/Space Interface

Plus a lot more besides. In going through More Thrust, I was constanly
being surprised at just how good St Jon's initial efforts were.

Prev: [FT] Star Frontiers Ships Next: [OT banter] was Re: Decals for tanks