Prev: Re: [HIST] Recent events and the GZG Universe (was: Thoughts on World Government) Next: Re: [OT] [HIST] Thoughts on World Government

Re: [HIST] Recent events and the GZG Universe (was: Thoughts on World Government)

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:30:47 EDT
Subject: Re: [HIST] Recent events and the GZG Universe (was: Thoughts on World Government)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:44:40 -0400 "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)"
<Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil> writes:
>I too had some thoughts generated by the recent events.
>
>Such things as:
> - What is the government of the IF like?

Hmm, anybody written up a history off the IF beyond the books?	Who
plays
them as 'personal choice' on the list (at least one IIRC)?  Have you
written up any 'developmental' history?

And why just the IF, how about the PAU (historical precedence there) or
Eastern Europe?  Or SE Asia ?  Or China's ethnic minorities?  Or anyone
else for that matter? Special Forces fighting an extended war might
begin
acting that way in a unconventional war setting...

>   - Does it support/employ terrorism? The destruction
>     of Israel was 16 years before the IF was founded.

Depends on how effective their 'opposition' is.  Most nations prefer
'honorable warrior culture values' over striking at non-combat targets
from a position of relative inferiority.  I believe that Terrorism is a
choice of groups feeling that more 'traditional values' approaches are
doomed from the start.	A form of Asymmetrical warfare.

> - What IS the fine line between liberation/guerilla
>   fighters and terrorists?

Ideally the former fights primarily military targets, has support from
outside that prevents the temptation to use crime to raise funds,
targets
civilians where deemed necessary that are clearly involved in the enemy
political, military or religious infrastructure.

The latter prefers striking non-combat elements of society, is
frequently
corrupted by the need to raise funds for supplies (rob banks, supply
drugs, etc.) , and is more broad in their scope for targets.  Frequently
this is more a matter of interpretation then conscious volition in most
people's eyes.

But I still do not agree that "One man's Freedom Fighter is another
man's
terrorist."  The line is somewhat blurred where the cross over occurs
but
it *is* there.	Humans being what they are, the longer you try to be a
former the easier it is to practice the latter (Viet Cong for example.)
Do the former long enough and I think you turn into some form of the
latter.

>However, I think that it may still be too close to the
>events to bring up such discussions.

Well, we'll see if it is.  I find it painful to have written even the
lines above.

>-----
>Brian Bell
>-----

So much for my stoicism.  Never was any good at that 'stoic Indian face'
thing.	Brian, not sure if I will/can continue this thread...  Will let
you know.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com