Prev: Re: [FT] Full Thrust-based WW2 Naval Next: [SG II}And speaking of aliens

Re: Stan Johansen miniatures

From: johncrim@v...
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:32:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Stan Johansen miniatures

> Has anyone seen (up close) any of Stan Johansen's minis?
>
> I am interested in his 25mm "Star Armour" line, specifically the
"Ssss".  I
> am looking for an alien technological race that LOOKs alien (ie
> non-bipedal).  I am wondering not only about the general quality of
the
> figures but how they will look next to my 28mm GW and 25mm Star Wars
> figures.
>
> If anyone is interested (he also carries some 15mm) his site is at:
>
>    http://www.stanjohansenminiatures.com/

I used to work for Jenknintown Hobbies, and we were Stan's dealer rep
for most of the east
coast shows...so I know his figures pretty well.

His stuff is true 25mm, and looks really tiny next to your average 28mm
figure.  Poses on
the humans are generally pretty stiff, and the casting is not up to GZG
or GW
standards...but it does the job.  Personally, I've found that the Hiss
(both 25mm and
15mm) are among his best, and the Klackon run a close second.

The Hiss, besides being humanoid, will look really tiny next to your
28mm figures, and
just small next to 25mm -- perfect if you want to do a "Worldwar" game,
though.

The Klackon, on the other hand, will look just fine.  They certainly
aren't humanoid, and
should present no problems in size.  And the Ssss, although not my
favorites, should also
work out just fine scale-wise...no pun intended.  I'm not to fond of the
sculpting, but I
think this is just a personal preference.

My favorite non-humanoid alien miniatures are from the long OOP
"Battlelords of the 23rd
Century" line -- the Arachnid is a HUGE miniature of a insectoid alien
in full powered
armor, walking on four of his legs and using the front pair as arms.
Wonderfully
sculpted, very imposing (about 30mm tall and 60mm long), and I was able
to pick up about
30 of them at a nice big discount.

Haven't actually painted any of them, mind you....

John Crimmins	    johncrim@voicenet.com
    http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim

      http://www.voicenet.com/webmail/

Prev: Re: [FT] Full Thrust-based WW2 Naval Next: [SG II}And speaking of aliens