Prev: FT-WDA? Next: Re: FMA DSII+

RE: FMA DSII+

From: "Brian Bell" <bbell1@i...>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:12:28 -0400
Subject: RE: FMA DSII+

HI Roger!

I just recieved your request today. I have sent you an individual reply,

but I will also post it here.

As for the dice system...
To put it mildly the vehicle to vehicle combat in SG2 stinks.
1) All weapons have the same range.
2) Base Die Roll x Size gives too wide a range of results.
3) If you use the xDice added method, you have to have at least 5
   sets of the dice for each player.
4) Either multiplying or adding slows down the game and looses the
   wonderful aspect of FMA where what you see on the dice is your
   result. This was the main complaint against chits, that they
   slowed down the game (the 2nd was what happened when you lost
   chits).
5) The infantry fire against vehicles is too powerful.

I left the to-hit method the same as in Dirtside II. I only changed
the damage resolution (chit draw).

I needed to represent the power of the weapon and the variable
effectiveness over the given ranges. I prefered to do it on 2 dice
without modifying the result shown on the dice (add or multiply).
DS2 already had 5 sizes for the the weapons, so it was a no brainer
to assign die types to them. The chit validity was a little harder
There are 7 color combinations (All x2, All, Red & Yellow, All /2,
Red, Yellow, or Green) Of these, 2 (Yellow and Green) had the exact
same count and mix of chits, so I combined them. So I was down to
6 and needed to reduce it to 5. After consideration, I decided that
All/2 was roughly equivilent to Red & Yellow. So now I had the 2
dice for the attacker. Armor is already divided into 5, so the same
die types that were assigned to weapon size were assigned to the
Armor values.

The result is as quick as any system that I have seen.

---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com
ICQ: 12848051