Prev: RE: [SG]Unit Cohesion Next: Re: [SG]Unit Cohesion

Re: [SG]Unit Cohesion

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 20 Sep 2001 08:55:46 -0700
Subject: Re: [SG]Unit Cohesion

On Thu, 20 September 2001, Roger Books wrote:

> The rescue scenario has you place many counters on the
> board, any one of which may be the pilot.  By splitting
> up he investigated 5 counters in one activation.

Ah... Now there's a reason to do it.

Hmm... It's not technically illegal, then. In fact, it seems like a good
strategy.

I'm trying to think if this would be considered "munchkin" territory. If
you knew you were looking for a pilot in an area, you might want to
split up your force in order to find him. "Spread out, men, he's got to
be around here somewhere!"

Of course, this isn't how a realistic search is done. If you've ever
seen people searching for lost children, you see that they form long
lines and search that way. It would get you killed quickly in war, but
the point is that it's fairly easy to be passed over in anything
approaching rough terrain.

I think the issue is the SG2 spotting rules and the fact that the player
knows where to go to search. He goes to the counters. The way the rules
are written, it would seem that it's very much legal.

As a referee, I'd have to think about whether I'd allow it. If it broke
the scenario, I might not. I'd say, "Okay, I didn't think about that.
That's a good plan. I think, though, if you did that you'd romp all over
my scenario. So, how about you don't do that and we'll see what
happens."

I wouldn't have as big an issue with this as I use my own overwatch
rules. If a player did this, I'd fire at the squad the moment the a
figure or figures were out of integrity range. If lucky, my squad gets a
suppression. Then, next activation, by the rules, the Kra'vak have to
remove the suppression, go back together and do a reorg. They never even
got to their counters if I did this right.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: RE: [SG]Unit Cohesion Next: Re: [SG]Unit Cohesion