Prev: Re: Name Change? Next: Fighter Rules

Re: Wargames and Go strategy

From: Colin Plummer <colin@i...>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:22:33 +0100
Subject: Re: Wargames and Go strategy

Thus spoke Roger Books on Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:24:01AM -0400 :
>   Are there any Go players on the list?  I'm just curious
> if it has any affect on your wargaming strategy?  I know
> I find it much easier to abandon an unsaveable asset than
> I did before I started playing Go.

  I don't get to play as often as I like, but my batchelors thesis was
the application of game theory to the Go endgame, so I understand
certain
aspects of the game very well.

  In simple terms, in close games it is the order in which you play in
unconnected areas that make the difference between a win and a draw
(wierdly
enough the order can vary wildly with the addition of only one small
area)

  Anyone who's interested enough I can furnish some brief details to.

  As it applies to wargames; it makes me think about the sequence that
things
must happen in a lot more carefully;  and yes, I am more likely to
sacrifice
a small unit in order to gain a positional advantage: but the more I can
make
my opponent pay for that unit the better!

--

Prev: Re: Name Change? Next: Fighter Rules