Prev: Re: [GZG] Imperium 3rd Millenium campaign for FT/DS Next: [FT] Power Blocs

Re: [OT] Alien Figures

From: NobJobz@a...
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 07:47:51 EDT
Subject: Re: [OT] Alien Figures

In a message dated 11/09/01 9:15:15 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil writes:

Hi Brian,

> I do have a question about your suppression rules for
> the aliens.

Well, they aren't really my rules.  In our gaming group we divided up
the
work.  I wrote the Predator rules, my friend Toby wrote the Alien rules
and
Owen (not of this list) wrote part of the Marines until we decided to
simply
use Stuart Murray's excellent rules for the Marines (Hi Stuart!).

> pinned by suppression.

Well, not exactly.

> Selected sections:

<Deleted quotes from rules>

> So, if I read it correctly...
> The 1st suppression is ignored (no counter placed).

Correct.

> The aliens are hit by suppresion twice more placing 2
> suppression markers. The aliens recieve a 4th suppression
> result, but no marker is placed (as 2 is the max).

Correct.

> the next round the aliens automatically remove the 1st
> suppression

Correct.

then use thier 1st action to remove the 2nd.  > They now have a minimum
of 1

Not necessarily.  The Aliens still have to roll to try and remove the
suppression counter as per the normal rules, its not automatic.  As we
recommend using them as Veteran 2, this means you have a chance of
failing.
And I can't count the number of times I have!  So if you pass, yes you
still
have one action left to use.  Remember that to charge into Close Assault
you
need to use both actions and can't do it if suppressed, then the bugs
can't
charge you that turn (much to the relief of the Marines, I'm sure).  So
the
bugs can use it to advance a little further, to run away, to hiss
menacingly
at the Marines, etc.

Did I get this wrong?

No.  You just looked and said the exact same thing I did when I first
read
Toby's rules, that they can't be pinned by suppression.  Well I can tell
you
from experience that they can be (I've done it and had it done to me),
but
its just very, very hard to do.  Tobe wanted to represent the fact that
the
Aliens will tend to just keep coming at you in the face of your gunfire,
but
that they aren't suicidal.  They'll keep their heads down, it just won't
hold
them up for long.  The rules play a little better than they read.
Recently
we have been talking about ways to improve the suppression rules with
the
Aliens and welcome any input you or other can give.

-Kelvin...

Prev: Re: [GZG] Imperium 3rd Millenium campaign for FT/DS Next: [FT] Power Blocs