Prev: RE: [FT] Vector racing! Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

From: David Brewer <david@b...>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 00:07:41 +0100
Subject: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

wrote:

> [...]

For what it's worth, you might want to ponder if a tank's main
purpose in life *is* to destroy other tanks. Reductio ad absurdum
would lead to solving the problem of the enemy's tanks... by
simply not bringing any tanks for them to shoot at, which would
dramatically devalue their expensive tank fleet.

Tanks started off life in WWI by being infantry-crushing monsters
which were as invulnerable to artillery and infantry weapons as
technology then allowed. Has this really changed?

> >From the other responses I take it that justification is a little
> harder in DS?

Fixed mounts consume less space than turrets, thus potentially
more/larger weapons or extra systems.

--
David Brewer

"It is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a stone at every

Prev: RE: [FT] Vector racing! Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?