Prev: RE: [FT] SV-Pods Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

RE: Primer

From: "mrUseless" <mruseless@h...>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 19:14:28 -0600
Subject: RE: Primer

Okay, here's the deal: some paint manufacturers sell products that are
"primers", but these formulations are not necessary for the modelling
hobby.
In the case of auto primers, they are designed to provide a bond between
metal and petro-based auto paint. As a modeller, I use latex paints.
These
paints will adhere well to almost any non-glossy surface. So you can
save
yourself some money and use any flat enamel (enamel because its more
durable
and sprays on more evenly) instead of blowing cash on "primer". I called
it
primer because it does the job of a primer. I guess I should have used
the
term "undercoat" which is more accurate. As far as avoiding the use of
enamels, I think that is most likely hype started by some company
wishing to
sell their special overpriced paints. I've been using flat enamel
undercoats
for years, and they work just fine. Pretty soon (couple of weeks on the
outside) I'll have a bunch of pics of my mini's on my website. Nothing
special, but they've held up just fine with enamel undercoats.

Hope that helps!
Eric