Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: RE: [FT] SV-Pods

Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:37:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

At 5:32 PM -0400 9/5/01, Damond Walker wrote:

>     Or some kid with a flaming jar of gas...
>
>     German TDs of WW2 are a good example of this...look at the Hetzer
or
>various Stugs (though I think most Stugs were classified as assualt
guns
>instead of TDs...I could be wrong though).  Though the Germans did have
>few *very* heavy TDs.

Yep, the Sturmgeshutz'es were armed with a low velocity weapon where
as the Jagpanzer's were armed with Higher velocity weapons.

>     The US used a half-track with a 75mm as a TD early on didn't it?
Later
>they had their M-10?  Wolverine?  Eh..I'm into the modern stuff.  :)

Aye. M3 Half Tracks with a 75mm. Trucks with 37mm's, the British did
these too, Portee's as they were known...

>  > Of course, the current version is "Toyota with TOW"
>
>     More bang for the buck...though the idea of using a TOW against
anything
>would scare the heck out of me...what with having to sit with the
launcher
>and all.

Newer weapons are getting to the point where yu can place them remote
from the user. Some are nice in that they don't require that you
shoot direct at the target, but rather they allow an upwards shot and
an arc down to the target.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \ Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids, - NRA -
- www.rawa.org	  \  Then you can host the Olympics too!       -

Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: RE: [FT] SV-Pods