Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

From: "Damond Walker" <dwalker@s...>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 17:32:41 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

> Well, not exactly--TD's came about before missiles did.  You can use a
> larger gun and/or a smaller hull because there is no turret.	Also due
> the lack of turret, you have a lower silhouette, so harder to see,
harder
> hit.	And because the whole thing is probably a good deal smaller than
> tank with the same gun, it should be cheaper.  On the other hand, it
is
more
> mobile and better armored than a towed antitank gun would be.

    Or some kid with a flaming jar of gas...

    German TDs of WW2 are a good example of this...look at the Hetzer or
various Stugs (though I think most Stugs were classified as assualt guns
instead of TDs...I could be wrong though).  Though the Germans did have
few *very* heavy TDs.

    The US used a half-track with a 75mm as a TD early on didn't it?
Later
they had their M-10?  Wolverine?  Eh..I'm into the modern stuff.  :)

> Of course, the current version is "Toyota with TOW"

    More bang for the buck...though the idea of using a TOW against
anything
would scare the heck out of me...what with having to sit with the
launcher
and all.

	    Damo

Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?