Prev: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry Next: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

RE: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

From: "Fulton, Beth (CMR, Hobart)" <Beth.Fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:01:15 +1000
Subject: RE: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

G'day again,

>First, it is meant reflect a much higher degree
>of training and awareness amongst the troops.

I think there's a fair bit of that in the effectiveness, confidence,
close
assault and ranged abilities.

>Second, it is meant to make
>them a bit more feared force
>on the battlefield - frankly, I like my tanks
>and scoff and infantry - I wanted them
>to be something that any commander
>think twice about.

OK I may be speaking out of turn here, but
(a) DS is a tank game primarily so its not so surprising that infantry
aren't as huge a threat (especially if not too much other infantry on
the
board for them to engage).
(b) Being a player who has a very infantry dominated force (well PA
dominated... I'm talking about my Daleks here) it really depends how you
use
them... I do it be setting things on fire, giving the odd ones lads,
anti-vehicle capability and by letting them get dropped behind enemy
lines... nothing more frustrating than for a tank crew to find that
their
one "safe" objective just got occupied by VTOL delivered infantry...it
can
take an age for tanks etc to weddle them out ;)

>I restricted the average element to the d6 simply as a
>way to keep it from _too_ unbalancing a game.

That is some concession, but personally I still wouldn't have it in, but
that's just me.

>Evans nailed this one. The GEs would
>exhibit much higher pain tolerances,
>increased ability to take action with
>debilitating wounds, etc.

I think he also had a point about having to be in one piece to get to
use
those abilities ;)
To me the resolution of DS kind of makes it hard to capture this facet
of
what you're after. If you're really stuck on the idea try 4 chits
instead of
5, I still think a guy in full PA is gonna be harder to take down than a
flesh and blood human no matter what his lineage or training.

>For game play, I see them as an
>infantry unit that would relish
>close assaulting powered armor.

That can have more to do with being insane than tough ;)

>Thanks for the comments.

No worries ;)

Beth

Prev: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry Next: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry