Prev: Re: [FT] Vector racing! Next: RE: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

[DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

From: "Noel Weer" <noel.weer@v...>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 18:24:41 -0500
Subject: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

A few of us were talking about a modification for Dirtside, I took it
upon
myself to follow it up. A quick (very quick, so if I missed something
please
let me know) scan of the Net did not turn up anything so I crafted the
following. I tried to keep the modifications within the logical bounds
of
the DS standard rules - modified only to reflect great physical
capabilities
and greater training/devotion to battle.
We have NOT playtested these yet, but are planning to soon. Our biggest
questions, so far, are about the point costing.

Any other feedback would be welcomed.

GENETICALLY ENHANCED (GE) LINE INFANTRY are rare elite forces, highly
trained, and literally designed and bred for combat. Think of the
Saurons of
the Battle World book series, the Nietschians of the Andromeda TV
series, or
(some other example that escapes me at present).
These troops are equipped with modern weaponry and combat armor, but on
the
whole still rely on APCs or IFVs for transport. This category of
infantry
denotes not only the level of equipment used by the troops, but also
their
capabilities.

As with all infantry elements, TEAMS of men on a single base represent
these
forces. The types of Teams possible are:

GE LINE INFANTRY is the basic element of a GE unit. It consists of four
or
five troopers equipped with Personal Arms ("rifles") and IAVRS. Most
such
teams will also contain a light team-support weapon (an LMG or
equivalent)
this is NOT considered a separate weapon for firepower purposes - its
effect
is factored into the overall "personal arms" firepower of the team.
These
Teams are much more highly trained than normal Line elements, and as
such,
have additional abilities:
* Any non-command GE Rifle Team can request artillery fire, rolling as
if it
were a command element with a leadership rating of 3.
* Due to their fierce hand-to-hand combat abilities  any GE Rifle Team
is
treated as an ASSAULT TEAM in Close-Assault actions, but may participate
in
Ranged Firefight combat normally
When determining costs for a unit, GE Rifle Teams are worth 100 points.

A GE APSW TEAM is a two or three man element carrying an Anti-Personnel
Support Weapon (e.g., a heavy MG, automatic grenade launcher, or
equivalent). This weapon team only carries Close-defense personal
weapons in
addition to the APSW. Any non-command GE APSW Team can request artillery
fire, rolling as if it were a command element with a leadership rating
of 3.

When determining costs for a unit, GE APSW Teams are worth 110 points.

A GE ANTI-ARMOR TEAM is a two or three man element carrying a GMS/L for
anti-tank usage (fire Con for the GMS/L is always considered to be
SUPERIOR). This Team only carries Close-defense personal weapons in
addition. Any non-command GE Anti-Armor Team can request artillery fire,
rolling as if it were a command element with a leadership rating of 3.

When determining costs for a unit, GE Anti-Armor Teams are worth 130
points.

A GE LOCAL AIR DEFENSE TEAM is a two or three man element carrying a LAD
System for anti-air usage (such as a light AA Missile launcher). This
Team
only carries Close-defense personal weapons in addition. GE LAD Teams
cannot
request artillery fire.

When determining costs for a unit, GE LAD Teams are worth 115 points.

GE forces do not utilize Powered Armor. They see it as a sign of
weakness
and vulnerability for the "norms" to have to rely on such equipment.
MOVEMENT
Due to their enhanced physique and stamina GE Infantry elements posses
superior movement over regular infantry. BASE MOVEMENT = 4.

INFANTRY FIREFIGHTS
=====================
GE Line Infantry effective firefight range is 8". GE APSW effective
firefight range is 12".

Before any fire is resolved, the entire UNIT must check for fire
effectiveness, per the usual rules, the result of the die roll however
is
different for GE troops:

Score is LESS THAN the unit's LEADERSHIP number:

Fire is PARTIALLY EFFECTIVE; HALF* of the elements in the firing unit
may
draw chits for fire effect; the target unit receives an UNDER FIRE
marker.

Score is EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN the Leadership number:

Fire is FULLY EFFECTIVE; ALL elements firing may draw chits for fire
effect;
the target units receives an UNDER FIRE marker.

GE elements draw THREE chits when determining firefight results.

A GE element is destroyed by a total of 5 valid damage points, due to
their
enhanced physical capabilities.

CONFIDENCE AND MORALE
=====================
All Confidence and Reaction Tests apply to GE troops as normal, except
that
all Threat Levels are reduced by one (-1). For example, If a ST (Steady)
GE
unit was preparing to make a Close Assault, it would need to make a
Reaction
Test at Threat Level -0 - the normal +1 with the -1 GE modifier. This
models
the GE soldiers' general self-confidence, conditioned superiority, and
understanding of the threat that is part of the battlefield.

Prev: Re: [FT] Vector racing! Next: RE: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry