Prev: 25mm miniatures Next: Re: [DS] Models representing GMS's and SLAM's

RE: Mini Campaign Question to the "List

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:07:15 +1000
Subject: RE: Mini Campaign Question to the "List

On Monday, August 27, 2001 3:29 AM, Pat Connaughton
[SMTP:patconnaughton@earthlink.net] wrote:
> 1. An initial insertion of troops - Naval forces fight to get through
an
> opposing defending force to land troops for a recon of a proposed LZ.
A cruiser engagement with ~3 assault transports or modified to carry 1-2
mass of PA infantry each for orbital drop.
Probably about 3 ships per player (1 cruiser & 2 destroyer escorts each)
with a ratio of 4:3 in favor of the attacker + 2-3 small orbital forts
controlled by the GM to make the players think about tactics.
I would recommend simultaneous fire if you have more than 2 players each
side, to avoid balance problems and rivalries between the players.

> 2. The previously mentioned recon (ground combat, mostlty light
forces)
with
> the emphasis on troop survival and having enough forces remaining to
get
the
> word out.
Have it preplanned for about 1 squad/light vehicle per mass dropped by
the
attacker.  The above PA will give the attacker enough mobility for the
recon
with Veteran or Elite quality.
For the defenders, have about 3:2 or 2:1 advantage in units, but make
them
mostly green/regular and lightly armed / armoured.
If the attacker tries to engage in a stand up fight, weight of numbers
will
make them lose.
2-3 squads per player should make a nice engagement for beginners.
Be prepared to either be flexible depending how the previous game went,
or
don't tell the players what each mass of force dropped represents and
have
this game fixed before hand.
Possibly a card system for activation sequence would be recommended
unless
you have an experienced commander on each side as CIC.

> 3. The main landing force arrives and needs to get to the planet -
much
> larger scale naval combat. The primary concerns being the transports
and
> then having enough forces left to either contest control of near space
or
> deny same.
The meatgrinder game.  This battle should involve
battleships/dreadnoughts
as both sides bring in available reinforcements.  Again ~3-4 ships per
player should keep everyone engaged.
The defensive reinforcements could be explained as the fleet coming back
from manoeuvers.

> 4. The landing and the fight to control the LZ and clear surrounding
area.
Either DS or more of a stand-and-fight SG game with both sides having
air
support/artillery.
Have the attackers already on the ground deploying from their dropships
with
at least a 2:1 advantage, otherwise the defenders will hit them with
heavy
artillery and grind them up on the LZ due to position advantages.
Forces should be more even with a majority of regulars on both sides.

'Neath Southern Skies - http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
[sstrike] Raider Fleet of War Leader Kel'em'all

Prev: 25mm miniatures Next: Re: [DS] Models representing GMS's and SLAM's