Prev: Re: [FT] Starship Troopers "Roger Younge" Next: Re: Campaigns

Re: [FT] Question about Drives

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:28:23 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Question about Drives

Charles Taylor wrote:

> First, how much more would a drive system that did _not_ have the
> rear-arc firing restriction be worth?
> In cinematic?
> In Vector (if you keep that restriction in vector)?
> For either standard or advanced drives.

Well for cinematic it means more then vector. In vector you can just
rotate the ship so that  you're facing the enemy (most of the time). It
also means more in standard then advanced drives for similar reasons.

We don't play with the rear arc rule though.

> Second, consider a game with both cinematic and vector thrust (for
> instance, in the EFSB, only the Minbari used Cinematic movement), how
> much should the cost of the cinematic drives cost compared to the
vector
> thrust ones?
> Assume the following special rules:
> Cinematic drives, while in use, prohibit fire through rear arc.
> Vector drives do not.
> When determining missile lock-ons, the lock on range is 6mu vs.
> cinematic, and 3mu vs. vector, if there is a choice in targets, double
> the range to the vector targets.
> Plasma bolts have a area of effect with a 4.5mu radius (as a
> compromise).
> Both the cinematic and vector drives come in both standard and
> forms.

I've been toying with the idea of gravitic drives in a vector game. It's
cinematic movement but you can rotate the ship if you maintain your
vector. To change vector you have to realign the ship with the vector
and then turn as cinematic. This gives you the best of both worlds but
I'm not sure how to cost it. I was thinking 6 x mass.

Prev: Re: [FT] Starship Troopers "Roger Younge" Next: Re: Campaigns