Prev: [DS2, SG2] Interesting article on EM Reactive Armor Next: Re: Campaigns

Re: Campaigns

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:44:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Campaigns

At 9:00 AM -0700 8/23/01, David Griffin wrote:

>I agree with this, but during wartime, the freighters
>we're talking about (liberties) were built at a rate
>that boggled the imagination not only compared to
>warships, but also with freighters built before the
>war.

But remember, the components of the ships were being built elsewhere.
They were in essence assembling the ships from component parts on the
slipways. They were not built entirely in 4 days. In some cases
sub-assemblies were built in places as far away as Wisconsin and
floated down the Mississippi.

The escort carriers were a far cry from the larger fleet carriers.
Both in speed, ability, capacity and durability.

Prefab techniques will help. But you still need industrial capacity
to make those components.

>Since the only weapons aboard escort carriers would
>be fighters, they could be easy to build too, though
>they might be easy to destroy. They too would be
>"mostly empty" except for fighter cradles and support
>equipment. Perhaps in wartime, this fighter support
>gear would be constructed modularly in a single
>unit (squadron fighter bay) and installed in an
>assembly fashion aboard anything that could contain
>them. It should be easier to convert freighter hulls
>to escort carriers because you don't need a flight
>deck in space.

But you have to add handling gear, armament storage space, shops,
crew space, pressurized areas for fighter maintenance, etc. Not a
quick conversion I suspect.

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: [DS2, SG2] Interesting article on EM Reactive Armor Next: Re: Campaigns