Prev: Re: Re: [eBay] Star Trek fleet on eBay

RE: Start For Sa'Vasku "Fix"

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:29:33 -0400
Subject: RE: Start For Sa'Vasku "Fix"

I miscommunicated.
I did not think that all of the below were needed in combination.
#3 Should be included in the solution.
And then a combination of 1 and 2 or 2 & 4.
Sorry for the miscommnication.

Still. I think that another solution needs to be found.
At 9mu range bands the Sa'Vasku are out gunned at medium or short
ranges by a significant amount.

Compare a Furious CE to a Var'Kiir'Sha (both 64m). Each number
represents the number of beam/stinger dice in a 3mu range band.
Var'Kiir'Sha is displayed using  9mu range bands. +T indicates
use of P-Torp/Pod Launcher; +S indicates use of Screen; +P
indicates use of PDS.

Var 5/8/0/3 Move 4
F 666644441111 +T +S +P
V 888444222111 +T

At the same thrust, the Var has better damage potential out
to 9.0mu, ties at 9.x-18.0mu and is worse at longer ranges.
Plush the Lance Pod is 1 range band shorter than a P-Torp.

Var 5/11/0/0 Move 4
F 666644441111 +T +S +P
V BBB555111		 B=11

If the Var forgoes the P-Topr, it is better upto 9mu, worse
at 9.x-12.0, better at 12.x-18.0 worse at 18.x-24.0, ties
at 24.x-27, and beat at 27.x-36. But this does not include
the Pulse Torpedo.

Var 3/12/0/1 Move 2
F 666644441111 +T +S +P
V CCC888666555 +T	 C=12

Var 0/16/0/0 Move 0
F 666644441111 +T +S +P
V HHH888444222111	 H=16

This is the only case where the Var can out range the Furious.
And it has to spend all its power to do so for a 1 die hit
out of the furious' range.

Var 8/8/0/0 Move 6
F -
V 888444222111

Var 8/4/0/4 Move 6
F -
V 444222111    +T

Var 10/4/0/2 Move 8
F -
V 444222111

Var 15/1/0/0 Move 10
F -
V 111

Yes, the Sa'Vasku should pay something for flexibility, but the
above is pretty drastic. Note that the Furious had the use of
Screens, P-Torp, PDS, and repair in each example. The
Var'Kiir'Sha would have to sacrifice offensive power for the
ability of damage control -or- PDS -or- Pod Launch. Also, the
Var does not have the ability for screens. To gain screen
ability, it would have to sacrifice the pod launcher and 4
power points. Thus you would get

Var 5/4/3/0 Move 4
F 666644441111 +T +S +P
V 444222111	  +S

Oerjan's point about freighters is, somewhat, valid, assuming
that the SV use freighters. Still, I think that it would be
an easy fix that does not break the existing designs.

I also understand the comment about a breakpoint. FB1 still
has breakpoints. They are just more numerous and have less
effect. Breakpoints are unavoidable in any system that rounds.
Still you point is well taken. The problem with a non-breakpoint
system is that to make it nonlenear, you put a cap on the
largest ship that can be made. And for it to be effective, it
would have to be non-lenear.

Oerjan's comment about spending all your points on one ship
is exactly correct. The point system needs to be adjusted
with a multiplier to the ship cost based on ship mass. But
that is another discussion.

-----
Brian Bell
-----