Prev: OT:DW book Next: RE: MT and Beam 1's

RE: Start For Sa'Vasku "Fix"

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:21:40 +0200
Subject: RE: Start For Sa'Vasku "Fix"

Brian Bell wrote:

>In talking with Noam, I proposed the following. One of
>our goals was to keep all current Sa'Vasku designs
>legal.
>
>1) Ships of 100+ mass must have a shield node.
>    Ships of 200+ mass must have 2 shield nodes. Etc.

Is this necessary if 4) below is adopted? (It also means that all SV
heavy
freighters have massive screens... somehow I don't find this
particularly
likely, but maybe that's just me :-/ )

>2) Range band be based on 9mu, but give the first 3mu free.

[table snipped]

>   This puts a better average in the mid range compaired
>    with beam-heavy fleets like NAC or ESU. The SV would
>    still be disadvantaged, but not as much as a straight
>    9mu range band. Plus easier to figure on the fly than
>    Noam's 13mu -1/range band.

EasiER to figure on the fly and doesn't set a hard maximum range to 78mu

(which Noam's suggestion does), but still not all *that* easy :-/

>3) Power Pool Change: Pods draw from Repair, Spicules draw from
Defense.

Yes.

>4) Limit % of total mass devoted to power generation:
>    Ship Mass	  % of total to power generation
>    <51	  30
>    50-150	  25
>    >151	  20
>    I would have suggested just a 2 tier of 25% and 20%,
>    but there is one ship (corvette) that is at 27%.

Only problem I can see with this restriction are the FT2-style
breakpoints.
A TMF 150 ship could have 38 pp while a TMF 151 ship is restricted to
30; a
TMF 50 ship could have 15pp while a TMF 51 could only have 13 (in both
cases assuming that fractions round up). (I also assume that the "50"
and
"51" figures have swapped places in the table <g>)

However, as Kaime points out - the big problem is the "all your points
in
one ship"-style customised monsters. None of the proposed SV changes
will
solve that - since the problem isn't restricted to the Sa'Vasku but
applies
to all FT races.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: OT:DW book Next: RE: MT and Beam 1's