Prev: Re: WOTW #12 Next: OT:DW book

Re: Start For Sa'Vasku "Fix"

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:18:04 +0100
Subject: Re: Start For Sa'Vasku "Fix"

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Bell <bbell1@insight.rr.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 4:58 AM

> In talking with Noam, I proposed the following. One of
> our goals was to keep all current Sa'Vasku designs
> legal.
>
> 1) Ships of 100+ mass must have a shield node.
>    Ships of 200+ mass must have 2 shield nodes. Etc.
> 2) Range band be based on 9mu, but give the first 3mu free.
>    Range	 Power per die
>	0-12	       1
>    12.x-21	       2
>    21.x-30	       4
>    30.x-39	       8
>    39.x-48	      16
>    48.x-57	      32
>    This puts a better average in the mid range compaired
>    with beam-heavy fleets like NAC or ESU. The SV would
>    still be disadvantaged, but not as much as a straight
>    9mu range band. Plus easier to figure on the fly than
>    Noam's 13mu -1/range band.
> 3) Power Pool Change: Pods draw from Repair, Spicules draw from
Defense.
> 4) Limit % of total mass devoted to power generation:
>    Ship Mass	  % of total to power generation
>    <51	  30
>    50-150	  25
>    >151	  20
>    I would have suggested just a 2 tier of 25% and 20%,
>    but there is one ship (corvette) that is at 27%.
>
> ---
> Brian Bell
> bbell1@insight.rr.com
> ICQ: 12848051
> AIM: Rlyehable
> YIM: Rlyehable
> The Full Thrust Ship Registry:
> http://www.ftsr.org
> ---

I'm
> beginning to think they're bad all around, but reserve judgement for
> Cinematic. (One solution I like is 13" - 1" per range band (0-12,
12-23,
> 23-33, 33-42, 42-50)
> Unless there FB3 gets a "Torp Pod" that works like a pulse torp
> (including range bands) Pods are almost exclusively useful as defense
> only.
>
> As for custom designs, I think that requiring Screen nodes and Pod
> Launchers to be grown when a construct reaches a certain size
> (biological rules - One node/lancher per X mass) would help prevent
> abuse. Further, not letting Power generator mass exceed 30% of total
SV
> mass would  also help (No FB2 SV Violates this rule, if I recall).
>
> Noam R. Izenberg

I think the singer bands modification and the power pool mods (with
maybe
the 30% power generator limit) is all required. These ships/aliens are
suposed to be advanced, after all <G> (or how many ships would it take
for
the humans to destroy a vorlon cruiser).

Prev: Re: WOTW #12 Next: OT:DW book