Prev: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Jerry Cantrill <jwcantrill@e...>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:57:29 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

>From: Brian Burger
>
>> The distance scale is easy, what about the time scale?
>>
>> For example, take as a base...
>>
>> 1 MU = 1000 km  and
>> 1 Turn = 15 minutes
>>
>> Maybe not THE standard, but does allow a convenient 1g = Thrust 8 ;)
>
>The only problem with this scale is that it would be impossible for any
FT
>ship to actually take off from nearly any planetary surface at all, if
>Thrust 8=1g. You'd need something impossible like Thrust 20 to take off
>from a 1g world...

Escape velocity from Earth is 11.186 kilometre per second.
With the above 1 Turn = 900 seconds, we have...

11.186 km/s x 1 MU/1000 km x 900 sec/Turn = 11.186 x 9/10 MU per Turn =

10.0674 MU per Turn, just get up to movement farther than 10 MU.

Even a speed 2 SDN can orbit 6 or 7 turns till it moves 12+ MU per turn,
its centrifugal force should overcome gravity trying to pull it back to
the surface.

And for taking off from the surface, current rockets take a little while
till they reach speed to put them in orbit, yet they do it before
gravity pulls them back down. Just use constant acceleration till they
get up there.

My math is about 30 years too old to try to remember how to calc the
exact amount of pull in MU this force of gravity would be each turn.
(And my science is from the days when we thought that Venus was the
Earth's twin sister we could colonize.)

>From: "Robertson, Brendan"
>I usually look at it as 2 thrust = 1g.  This gives about the right
"feel"
>with some of the published tuffleyverse background...
>...snip...

>From just Full Thrust by itself, just about any distance to time scale
would work. And if we use 1 MU = 1000 km and 1 Turn = 7.5 minutes then 1
Thrust is about 5 m/s^2 acceleration and 1.98 thrust = 1g. But didn't
some people say that if we used 1 Turn = 15 to 20 minutes, that this
would tie in with the time scales of Dirtside and or Stargrunt?

-Jerry Cantrill

p.s. My previous 2 years per turn when a MU is 1/2 AU was just
extrapolating that 15 minutes is to 2 years as 1000 km is to 1/2 AU.
Only to keep the distance/time scale the same. But if you FTL micro jump
it is rather silly to talk about turns in years.

pp.s. How far could a ship jump once it left the influence of the
stellar system?

Prev: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions