Prev: Re: [SG] Ship building Next: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Jerry Cantrill wrote:

> The distance scale is easy, what about the time scale?
>
> For example, take as a base...
>
> 1 MU = 1000 km  and
> 1 Turn = 15 minutes
>
> Maybe not THE standard, but does allow a convenient 1g = Thrust 8 ;)

The only problem with this scale is that it would be impossible for any
FT
ship to actually take off from nearly any planetary surface at all, if
Thrust 8=1g. You'd need something impossible like Thrust 20 to take off
from a 1g world...

Or am I missing something here - assuming atmosphere-capable starships
take off airplane style (horizontally) would T8/1g be enough to get you
off Terra? What about lower thrusts? T6?

Granted, most FT ships aren't even capable of atmospheric reentry, never
mind landing, but some are, especially the smaller ones - DD & down.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -

Prev: Re: [SG] Ship building Next: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions