Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 16:39:59 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

I'm not sure I agree with this radiant energy inefficient drive / only
way to drive a machine is to light stuff on fire crud.

While I'll admit, solar sails aren't as useful out of system, or in
bound, they are an example of a difference.

However, assuming a fission/fusion drive (take your pick, either are
likely to be dirty) and a ship headed IN bound, with the right shielding
(Absolutely necessary to some extent just to protect the crew) why would
there be _any_ emmisions heading towards the system?  Last I checked EM
radiation doesn't bend around corners without help or special very
narrow
appatures (and I would not qualify an SDN's main engine cone to be a
narrow appature).

How about magnetic shielding that already goes on?  Shielding that
contains plasma's?  Ones that can theoretically hold point-anomalies
(not
sure that's the proper vocabulary for a tiny black hole)?

However, if you insist that it does, why not use compressed gas?
Gaussian marble throwing?  Both throw stuff, but neither emits anything
really detectable beyond a very small bit of space...

Basically, I'm trying to understand how a species who invents
hyperdrive,
gravity control, "shields," can't think of a way to hide thier
emissions.  Specifically, a species that's shown just how creative it
can
be when waging war on itself...  One that already knows the military
value of being sneaky.

Rand.