Prev: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 00:14:41 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

At 11:43 PM -0400 8/6/01, Mark 'Indy' Kochte wrote:

>The asteroid field in our solar system can be represented by....let's
>see, take a large room (something on the order of 15'x15' or so) and
>toss in a few marbles. This would represent a more or less crowded
>area of our asteroid belt (where 'belt' is a misnomer, really). Some
>years ago I wrote up a study on asteroid fields for  gaming purposes.
>The summary was: take a small rock, toss it on the table, and voila`.
>You're in the asteroid field. I can repost this if there is interest,
>or send it to you off-list. It could even be buried somewhere deep in
>the FT archives (not sure if Jerry's archives go back that far or not).

Granted space is big. But what is the granularity here? NASA has fits
every time they send something through the field. Some smaller chunks
that are hard to map are always the bigger worry. Even still, closer
to earth we're still finding damnably big rocks (3-6 Mile Pluse size)
really close.

Going through really dam fast (6 hexes per turn) would put you
through the belt fairly fast and make it really hard to avoid a rock
that you didn't track. If you are going through with passive sensors
only, how are you going to see that rock before it smacks your
Flagship in the bridge? Especially if its also mined unexpectedly...

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: RE: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions