Prev: Re: [FT] Ship Names Next: Re: AW: my website updated again

FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:24:43 -0400
Subject: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

OK, I've mumbled some things about this in the past and now I'm
starting to think about this in more detail now that I've got a few
things taken care of.

I have in the past, begun to think about an extension to Full thrust
that allows for a better scale of scenario build up rather than the
basic X-thousand points and a table kind of matches.

The basic concept is that the table top that we normally play with is
a very small fraction of the total space around a system.  This total
space is likely to be subdivided off with hexes for ease of diagonal
movement. Its not super accurate, but its a good balance between a
grid and free angles and distances. At the center of your 'map' is
your system core at about an Astronomical Unit (Distance from Earth
to Sun). Each hex is about .5 AU's

The thing I'm stumped on is exactly how to represent movement based
upon a task force's (and specifically the ships comprising said task
force) movement across individual hexes. I want the scale of
acceleration between each ship to be represented nicely but not too
quickly.

Does 1 hex per Thrust point per turn seem correct? It'd make it easy
to work up movement velocities but I don't want a task force that is
at an obscene speed to come to a halt in one hex. They should spend
several turns after a turn around retro-thrusting to slow down.

Once two groups of ships meet in the same hex, they get moved to the
play table and there you perform the quick battle. This could allow
for some really interesting actions between a scout trying to get
close to perform close ID's of ships and not getting whacked by the
taskforce... It could also allow for groups that have a slight edge
on velocity overtaking a group that is slightly slower and running
them down.

Basic principles are:

1 Hex = .5 AUs and a nebulous area of one ship scale (std FT scales
or Ship Action Scale) map.

80-100 hexes across is the overall map known as Theatre Action Scale

At the edge of the Theatre map is the hyper limit for safe FTL
transition. FTL transition near the Primary or other major/minor
planets will have varying degrees of hazard. FTL into the system is
only on the edge, closer in results in ship/task force loss.
Transition further out results in longer times to enter the system
and is reserved for special scenarios as it takes a week or more to
FTL that far out and thrust in at low speed to avoid detection.

Any asteroid belts will have a maximum safe speed for transition
across, this is represented either by picking your way through safely
or by using thrust to go around in the 3rd dimension (abstracted just
like in Ship action scale).

Ships that do not FTL, thrust, maneuver, fire energy weapons or emit
ECM/Sensors will not be placed on the Theatre map.

Ships that have FTL'ed, thrust-ed, maneuvered, fired energy weapons
or emitted EMF energy will be represented as a task force icon/model.
Highest thrust burn used by the task force and varying degrees of
information based on weapons fire and or sensor use will refine the
information available about that particular task force. Data
available would be kind of sensors, total mass and thrust, type of
weapons fire, etc.

Taskforces will be those ships in a specific hex. They could be a
full battle line, a convoy of cargo vessels, a small CA/DD task
force, ships (CLs/DDs/FFLs) on picket duty, a Scout(s), or a
anti-scouting DD screen.

Range for sensors is still being refined but I'm leaning towards a
concept where higher grade sensors under the current model allow for
broad sweep scans of areas or quadrants for detecting silent running
vessels. A question is levels of stealth...

Fighter groups will be detectable at closer or further ranges
depending on what really feels right. They will be detected at much
closer ranges compared to ships (Active and passive). Probably 1-2 AU
on passive, 6-8 AU on active

I arrived at this scale as a balance between realism and playability.
Too fine a scale and you've got an im-measureably huge map with
thousands of hexes. Too course and the tactical flexibility isn't
quite real enough. Distant Binary systems would be represented by two
big maps, close binary stars aren't likely to be sites of any large
population center other than a temporary military, corporate or
scientific post.

The combination of sensor effectiveness and range will make the need
for sensor pickets and scouting extremely important in the game. It
will also allow for varied developments of carriers being separated
from gun type groups and still contributing to the fight in a
realistic manner very important. Hunt the carrier/assault group
scenarios would be very playable and very fun. The use of bogeys and
weasel boats will up the ante quite nicely too.

Keep in mind, I'm still batting the concepts around but the basic
idea seems solid and playable. Thoughts comments?

Prev: Re: [FT] Ship Names Next: Re: AW: my website updated again