Prev: Re: FT-Movement, corkscrewing Next: Re: FT-Movement, corkscrewing

Re: [Terrain] Hairspray, felt

From: Samuel Reynolds <sam@s...>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 10:30:45 -0600
Subject: Re: [Terrain] Hairspray, felt

>Reading a model railroading book (for the terrain ideas, of course),
>they suggested using cheap, unscented airspray to hold your
>turf/ground foam down.  Of course, they're not usually worried about
>moving it around, moving figures over it, etc--anyone tried it?
>
>They also offered a suggestion for "Grows Like Grass" ground cover:
>a. Use beige felt to cover your hills etc.
>b. tease the felt fibers with a wire brush.
>c. use airbrush or spray pump to spray a 50/50 green paint/water mix
>(plus a drop of detergent) onto the felt, just enough for the teased
>strands--2/3 or more of the beige should still be showing.
>d. dry for 48hr
>e. sift real dirt (or, presumably, something else that's fine powder
>of the color you want) onto the felt & use wire brush to work it into
>the beige surface
>f. use fingernail scissors to trim the teased strands at 1/8 to 1/4"

Save yourself a lot of grief. Get one of those battery
powered "sweater shavers." (They're like electric shavers,
but with larger holes and no swivel heads; they generally
go for about US$6 around Christmas time.) Just be careful
not to remove all the teased-up strands.

- Sam

I useta coont spel inguneer, now i are one.
Samuel Reynolds
Spinward Stars: http://www.spinwardstars.com/
sam@spinwardstars.com

Prev: Re: FT-Movement, corkscrewing Next: Re: FT-Movement, corkscrewing