Prev: Re: [FT] Ship Names Next: Re: [FT] Ship Names

Re: FT-Subs?

From: Randall Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:43:32 -0700
Subject: Re: FT-Subs?

The Free Cal-Tex that I play has been experimenting with "subs" lately.

Their evolution:
Tried cloaking device as per rules, but found that it feels a bit
difficult, but alot of fun.  I self limited to ships at or under 25
tons,
with point costs doubled (total cost, doubled) for thier experimental
state
(Yes, I double the cloak device too).  No, this really isn't balanced,
but
made me feel better about using them... :)  ECM is totally inaffective,
as
would Stealth if used (at least for now).

I load mine with a class 1 or 2, and MT missles.  The MT's (Nuke, 2d6
damage) feel right to me, with the right amount of damage (crippling or
even destroying most commerce ships, destroyers and lower)

I felt the cloak was realistic enough, as subs, when running deep
couldn't
see, and periscope depth (with the advent of radar) was viewable by the
enemy.

Some tinkering, yet to be tested:
While cloaked, subs can't fire, but the enemy can find and attack them
thus:
Sensor role to "discover" they are there:  Standard sensors, 5-6.
Enhanced: 4-6, Superior 3-6
Sensor role to target while cloaked: Standard: 6.  Enhanced: 5-6
Superior:
4-6  Role per firecon.	If you have a "lock" then you can fire any or
all
weapons.  However, they are at +18 MU's for range.  Minus 6 MU's per
firecon after the first.
Note:  The + MU's is added to the current range...  Thus a destroyer
with 2
firecons, that has locked in on a sub that's 10 MU's away, with both
firecons, is at 22 MU's with respect to weapons range that can attack,
and
dice to role when attacking.

I use the "declare # of turns of cloak" with the only difference that
the
turn they are "uncloaked" they can choose to remain so.

Rand.