Prev: Re: [FH] About the UN again (sorry Beast) Next: Re: [FH] About the UN again (sorry Beast)

Re: [FH] About the UN again (sorry Beast)

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:22:47 +1000
Subject: Re: [FH] About the UN again (sorry Beast)

At 09:59  20/07/01 -0400, Ryan wrote:
>Well, I don't know about you, but the UN multinational force in Korea
>certainly wasn't ignored. I would envision that typically the UN
enforces
>the No Combat in the Core worlds and otherwise stays the hell out of
other
>nations business unless called in by more than one or two.

Korea was more a clash of ideologies, communists verse the 'free world'
and
only happened because America was prepared to involve itself in the
'good
fight'. If America hadn't shown any (self-)interest the UN flagged force

would have been at best a non-event, at worst a disaster.

Take East Timor to name one example, the American government virtually
approved of Indonesia's invasion and annexation of that small country
(in
the 70's) because there were no competing American interests regardless
of
the fact the invasion was a continuation of Indonesia's previous
government's policies when that country could have been considered
'pro-communist'  because it was receiving military support for the
Soviet
Union.

Please note the Australian government of the day and their successors
followed the American lead, so Australian's really have nothing to feel
proud about either.

This is the prime difference between the UN of reality and the UN of the

GZG-verse (IMHO) the UN has it's own military and so it is not subject
the same degree to the whims of it's member states.

In order to keep the UNSC free from the interference of other nations,
the
personal would need to be loyal to the UN <The 'myth' of the NAC officer

stealing the plans for the pulse torpedo springs to mind :) > and they
and  their dependents would need somewhere safe to live.

>The mandate is nothing outside the Core Worlds. The timeline
specifically
>states that. How could they establish power projection bases outside
the
>core worlds when they aren't supposed to?

The mandate is to maintain peace within the core but that doesn't mean
the
UNSC stops at the core, once again the survey cruisers are evidence of
that. Smaller less capable nations could also sign assistance treaties
with
the UN, just like they would with any other nation state.

Further more as a nation state the UN is perfectly within it's rights to

claim some of the worlds it is surveying for itself. This would allow
the
UN to collect resources to build and maintain the UNSC, build bases to
support further exploration of space on humanity's behalf, and have
somewhere for the UN citizens to live.

>Then why the limit on power?

What limit are you referring to?

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: Re: [FH] About the UN again (sorry Beast) Next: Re: [FH] About the UN again (sorry Beast)