Prev: Re: Unnarrowed Re: Movies Next: Re: Serendipity (sp?), TV, Gundam and minis was Re: Photos (was:Re: New IF ships)

Un-narrowed Re: Movies

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:27:20 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Un-narrowed Re: Movies

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:23:46 -0500 devans@uneb.edu wrote:

[Snip Doug's small faux pas regarding Kagemusha <g>]

> Westerns were big for him [Kurosawa]; you can certainly see that in
Yojimbo and Sanjuro. I haven't figured which came first, those two or
the spaghetti westerns, but they are very close. <

Kurosawa! The Italians made "For a Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few
Dollars More" almost directly from them (I think Sanjuro became FaFoD,
and Yojimbo FaFDM) much as "The Magnificent Seven" was a Western
version of Seven Samurai. Of course, TM7 then went on to be imitated
itself, "Battle Beyond the Stars" being but one of the later versions.

Phil
(Dr) P.A. Atcliffe
Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering
University of the West of England, Bristol
Phone: +44 (0)117 344 2496
Fax:   +44 (0)117 344 3800

Prev: Re: Unnarrowed Re: Movies Next: Re: Serendipity (sp?), TV, Gundam and minis was Re: Photos (was:Re: New IF ships)