Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter Balance (was: FT-Number crunching required) Next: RE: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)

[DS2) Highly frustrating quibble was Re: weapons fit

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:02:24 EDT
Subject: [DS2) Highly frustrating quibble was Re: weapons fit

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:09:50 -0400 "Thomas Barclay"
<kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca>
writes:
>David said:
>I think that the weapon number limited to
>vehicle size is a good rule.
>Perhaps APSWs and Fragmentation Belts
>should not count toward the max
>weapons numbers (but still cost capacity
>points)? Still, it would be
>annoying to see a size-3 IFV with 16
>APSWs.
>
>[Tomb speaks]
>
>Okay, here's one for you: Try to build a size
>3 APC with GMS/L, RFAC/1 and two
>infantry teams. Oops! Can't do it! Darned
>weapons fit again.... yet there are patently
>plenty of such examples in our real world...

Okay, wait a minute.   Let me check "The Book" -

Page 11 "...(Bold CAPS) NO VEHICLE MAY BE FITTED WITH MORE WEAPON
SYSTEMS
THEN ITS BASIC CLASS SIZE..."  Okay, good....

Arty weapons listed page 12.
Weapon size classes, Direct Fire Weapons Systems (8 - RFAC, HVC, HKP,
MDC, HEL, DFFG, GMS, and SLAM) on page 8.
Fire Combat (showing weapons systems) Pages 28 & 29.

"Capacity Requirements for Vehicle weapons AND SYSTEMS" (emphasis, not
volume, I'd use italics if Juno supplied them) on page 16.

Infantry Team Transport is **not** any more a weapons system then Cargo
Load Transport or (IMO) Command/Communications systems (or even, again
IMO only, CBR!)

(from chart on page 16):

Weapons:
Direct Fire Weapons (8 kinds including GMS below)
APSW (beyond 'free')
GMS
PDS
LAD
APFC (questionable to me but let it gop for now)
Arty systems

NON-weapons (and have no limitation of the basic number of weapons
carried based on vehicle base size - show me the rule that says they do
if you have found it, please.)

Infantry Team Transport
Cargo Load  Transport
Smaller Vehicle Transport
Command/Communications Systems
CBR (debatable)

I have seen play aids that are otherwise **excellent** that treat
Infantry Transport as a weapon system (Hmm, do they treat cargo space as
such, probably not, I'll have to check.)  Total Capacity yes, weapons
system, no!!!

Look at the charts on page 56 for vehicle Record Cards - Infantry
Transport would look silly in the 5 provided 'weapons slots' on the
form.
 See the last paragraph on page 55 describing how to use the cards.
Infantry carried is "...Other Equipment and notes..." material, not a
weapons system.

Tom, your APC is *under armed* (grin) by DS2 rules!   SG2 rules I can't
speak for since I have never even seen them in person...

Okay, I am now a convert!  MAke SG2 vehicles compatible with DS2 but
allow people to make their 'Old' designs  that they spent so much time
on
as 'optional' designs (maybe a 10% surcharge in cost?) so their is a
continuity with the 'Traditional' ways. {Anything 'old' is inherently
'Traditional'}

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter Balance (was: FT-Number crunching required) Next: RE: FT-Number crunching required (HELP)